Will Weight Loss Surgery Also Improve Other Medical Conditions?
Last Updated on February 14, 2020
Our patients are always telling us that if they knew how many medical conditions were completely cured or improved by weight-loss surgery, then they would have decided to get the surgery a long time ago.
From asthma to osteoarthritis, weight loss surgery dramatically improves many other health issues – literally from head (migraines) to toe (gout).
6 Conditions Improved by Bariatric Surgery Beyond Weight Loss
We can’t go in-depth on every health issue that weight-loss surgery can improve, but here are just a few to give you an idea of the other benefits you can enjoy.
- Type 2 Diabetes – One of the more serious health conditions that can be triggered by excess weight or obesity, type 2 diabetes can be put into long-term remission by bariatric surgery. The surgery is so effective that many patients see their blood sugar levels return to normal within days of, without needing any medication.
- Cardiovascular Disease – Your risk of coronary heart disease, stroke and heart attack are significantly reduced by bariatric surgery. Your levels of blood pressure and cholesterol often return to normal or near-normal following the surgery, which lowers your risk of all forms of heart disease.
- Joint Pain – The significant and sustained weight loss that occurs after bariatric surgery relieves the stress on joints and often allows people to stop using pain medications and enjoy much more mobility.
- Infertility – Weight loss surgery has also been shown to dramatically improve fertility during childbearing years, particularly when caused by “polycystic ovarian syndrome”.
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea – Excess weight and obesity are the most common causes of sleep apnea in adults. If your sleep apnea forces you to wear an uncomfortable positive airways pressure (PAP) device while you sleep, returning to normal weight ranges following bariatric surgery can mean going to bed each night without strapping on the PAP device.
- Overall Quality of Life – The number of health benefits of weight loss surgery means you can look forward to more than just a slimmer body. Improved health means taking part in activities that were impossible before. You don’t have to wake up each morning worrying about health complications like fatty liver disease, hypertension or osteoarthritis. Imagine not having the burden of self-consciousness at social gatherings, your workplace – or any time you walk out the door. Your life is improved in more ways than you can imagine.
To learn about the most popular and effective weight loss surgery, a sleeve gastrectomy, check out our article “Gastric Sleeves: How They Work, Surgery, And Who Should Have It”.