How Much Time Off Work Do I Need for Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
Table of Contents:
Last Updated on June 26, 2023
The gastric sleeve surgical procedure is performed using laparoscopic surgical techniques, which minimizes the stress on your body, and the amount of time you need to recover.
How Much Time To Return To Work After Gastric Sleeve Surgery
How much time do I need to take off of work?
Gastric sleeve surgery typically requires a hospital stay of 2-3 days. Post-surgery, most people can return to work after 1-2 weeks, depending on the nature of their job. Light physical activity is usually possible after a week, while strenuous activity should be avoided for 4-6 weeks. Always consult with your gastric sleeve surgeon for personalized advice.
However, if it is at all possible, we suggest that gastric sleeve patients take two to four weeks off work to give themselves time to adjust to their new stomach and daily routine.
What to Expect During Your Time Off Work After a Sleeve Gastrectomy
As part of your gastric sleeve post-op care program, your gastric sleeve surgeon will tell you what you can and can’t do at each stage of your recovery.
After a sleeve gastrectomy, you can expect a recovery period that involves several stages.
- Rest and Recovery Post-surgery, it’s crucial to listen to your body and avoid overexertion. While bed rest isn’t recommended, a good night’s sleep is vital to your recovery.
- Staying Active Aim to walk every day, starting with what you’re comfortable with and gradually increasing your distance. Regular activity promotes blood circulation, aiding in a quicker return to normalcy.
- Avoid Heavy Lifting Despite the minimally invasive nature of the surgery, your body needs time to heal. It’s generally advised not to lift anything heavier than a chair for 4 to 6 weeks post-surgery.
- Personal Hygiene You can shower as needed after the first 48-72 hours. When drying off, pat the incisions dry to avoid irritation.
Remember, these are general guidelines. Your surgeon will provide personalized advice based on your specific circumstances. Always follow your healthcare provider’s instructions for a safe and effective recovery.
To learn more about what to expect after gastric sleeve surgery, please read “How Bariatric Surgery Changes Your Hunger, Metabolism and Even Your Tastes for Certain Foods”.
- The gastric sleeve surgical procedure is performed using laparoscopic techniques, which minimizes stress on the body and recovery time.
- Patients can generally return to regular day-to-day functioning within about a week following the procedure.
- However, it is recommended that patients take two to four weeks off work to adjust to their new stomach and daily routine.
- Post-operative care includes not overexerting oneself, staying as active as possible, avoiding heavy lifting for 4 to 6 weeks, and taking care of the incision site.
- Walking every day is encouraged as it helps in blood circulation and speeds up the recovery process.
- After the first 48-72 hours post-surgery, patients can shower as needed, but they should pat the incisions dry instead of rubbing them with a towel.
- The surgery, despite being minimally invasive, still requires the body to recover before undertaking any strenuous activities.
Get Consultation and Help?
If you’re considering a sleeve gastrectomy and want to understand more about the recovery process, we invite you to continue exploring our resources. Our team at The Sleeve Clinic, one of the top rated weight loss clinic in Mississauga is dedicated to providing comprehensive care and support throughout your weight loss journey. For more insights and personalized advice, don’t hesitate to reach out to us. Let’s take the first step towards your healthier future together. Click here to contact us today.